Thursday, June 25, 2009

Soccer: the World's Game

I have been reluctant to be one of those who follows soccer (futbol for all those who prefer the more authentic term) even after I played soccer for nine years as a child. I just never could get into it; they score so few goals, and it just looks like boredom punctuated by moments of sheer ecstasy (or pain, depending on which side you're on). I have just recently found the patience for soccer and now I'll never go back.

What changed my mind was the second half of the US-Spain match in the FIFA Confederation Cup. This was compounded today watching the Brazil-South Africa match.

IBM commercials will try to convince you that math is the only language that all cultures share. I call BS! Soccer will join that elite club as soon as it catches on further in the US. But I think changes need to be made, we need some cool teams to root for; I'm sorry, but I cannot get behind a team called "Galaxy" or "Chivas USA," forgive me Galaxy and Chivas fans. I can't even get behind a league called Major Leage Soccer. Take a look at the name of teams from abroad:

Fulham
Chelsea
AC Milan

and leagues named:
Premiere League
Champions League

I am sorry, but those named are just so cool! Galaxy just pales in comparison. Let's start naming our teams after where they're from, the Galaxy can be Los Angeles FC, that's WAY better.

But back to the topic at hand. Soccer has the power to unite war torn countries, Siera Leone is currently trying to unite the country behind their soccer team which will compete in the World Cup in 2010 (hosted by South Africa). I *believe* there was a mutual temporary cease fire in Sierra Leone during the last World Cup (hosted by Germany in 2006). Did you see those fans during the Confed Cup? They go NUTS for their team, this is nationalism manifesting itself through sport, it's beautiful. Jump on board America.