Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's Been a While

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, it's been a busy past week and a half...

Just a quick post for tonight, I'm not going to be able to post until next Friday likely.

I do not know how many of you subscribe to the Economist; every year they put out a "Pocket World in Figures," and I have marveled at this little invention for a while. This book takes a wide variety of statistics and puts them into a small but easy to use handbook. Flipping to a random page I find that:

70% of Cameroon's employment is in the agriculture sector.

or

Macedonia has the highest percentage of unemployed labor in the world at a mere 36.0%, that's pretty incredible.

Other statistics include defense spending and total attendance to cinemas per country (India has the highest in 2006 at 1,473.4 million attendees).

If you are a statistics nut (which I am though I am terrible at any sort of mathematics) this is a must have, it just packs so much information into such a small space.

In the next week I'll be reading Zbigniew Brzezinski's The Grand Chessboard and the newest Economist which is labeled, "Waking from its sleep: A 14-page special report on the Arab world"

Until next time keep abreast on world issues and read some books!